Duck Tea Time!


When I first saw the invitation to participate in the Mad Tea Party at a Fanciful Twist, I knew I had to focus on one of my favorite teas! A few years ago, I attended the spectacular afternoon tea at the Memphis Peabody Hotel and the experience was only outdone by the duck parade that followed it!  Yes, if you don't know about the fantastic Memphis Peabody Hotel duck parade, you really must click through and read the details.


I emailed a whimsical invitation to a couple guests who were happy to participate!

As I started preparations, I retrieved three of my favorite ducks from my husband's collection and set a table for the ducks!


The perfect china to use for a duck tea party is Johnson Brothers' Brookshire. Brookshire features a variety of feathers and game birds and it is perfect for any masculine tablescape ... and more perfect to celebrate ducks!


Just look at some of the pretty birds!





Our menu featured some fresh produce. Wonderful cream soup made with yellow crooked neck summer squash, cucumber sandwiches with a just picked cucumber and herbs from Phoebe's little chair garden, fresh peaches added to the scones and some of the season's first blueberries in tiny tarts.

I served Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold tea, which was introduced to me by a friend from England at a tea she hosted a couple months ago.  My daughter found the tea on a big city shopping trip and I had a nice box of it in my Mother's Day gifts!


I've hosted many teas in my career of entertaining friends! I've learned that the longer you drag out the 'serving' of courses, the more fun you have!  I've also learned that it is important to set places with flatware. Too often, tea party-goers are expected to pick up things with their fingers ... and I hate that! I always want a knife, fork and spoon when I am actually eating real food! The Brookshire pattern has all kinds of extras ... the cream soup bowls are favorites of mine!


I used my faux stag handled flatware and served spritzy spa water in these pretty stemmed glasses.  The 9-inch luncheon plates were perfect for this setting and, of course, I had to use my ceramic duck napkin rings!


My tablescapes frequently include baskets, because I have zillions of them! The ducks greeted my guests cheerfully and everybody had a great time nibbling, sipping and gabbing!

I'll be sharing this post with the Mad Tea Party blog party. Just click through to visit all the other party participants!  

If you'd like to see a couple of my past tea party posts ... visit  Royal Wedding Tea Party Supper and the Music of Tea.




February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's