Creamy Black Bean Soup


I don't like beans! If you follow my blog, you know that already! It isn't a totally true statement ... I like baked beans loaded with onions, green peppers and brown sugar .... I love big broad butter beans ... I love black eyed peas ... and I can tolerate little green lima beans! Don't try to feed me any other kind!

So ... why did I make black bean soup?  Because I had a bag of black beans and some fresh cilantro ... and I was craving that flavor ... on one of those unseasonably cool days a couple weeks ago!

I ate one bowl of it and froze the rest in single size portions. It might still be in the freezer this time next year!

I cooked the black beans all night on low in the crockpot.  I cooked a pound of beans in six cups of chicken stock and by the time they were done, there was very little liquid left, but that is what I wanted.

I seasoned the beans with chopped onion and green bell pepper ... 1 Tablespoon of Cumin, 1 Tablespoon of Chipotle pepper and about 1/4 cup of chopped Cilantro.  I didn't add salt, because I was satisfied that the chicken stock had enough.

I used my immersion blender stick to puree the beans, added 2 cups of half and half and 1 cup of sour cream.

How simple is that?  The soup does freeze well ... I've made it for years because other people like it!  Thaw it overnight in the fridge and cream it a little more with milk or half and half.

I garnished mine with additional fresh Cilantro, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.  Chunks of avocado are good, too!

I'll probably share this with a few of the blog parties listed in my sidebar, so make sure you click through to visit!



February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's