Luke: Chapter 6 - Blessed are ... Woe to ...

Sermon on the Mount - Carl Bloch


Most of us have learned the Beatitudes, presented by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount.  Luke presents them a little differently than Matthew.  Luke includes the good things, then he mentions the not so good … the “haves and the have-nots”!  In the first four, he addresses those who are without. 

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.


When we are without, we are most likely to seek God’s word.  When Joe died, I looked to the scripture to find solace.  I honestly didn’t find it, and I certainly was not blessed by the knowledge that even though I was weeping, I would laugh later.   What I did find was the instruction to get back to normal and continue to do what I was supposed to be doing.

Then Luke mentions the next four in a little different way.  In these second four, he addresses the people who already have plenty. 

Woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.


We’ve all known people who fit these categories.  Sometimes we fit these categories ourselves and have to remind ourselves that life is filled with hills and valleys.   We often talk of Karma, but we are usually talking about Karma hitting somebody else, not ourselves!  Maybe we should rethink that!  Don’t laugh now, unless you are ready to weep later!  Your time will come.  That is simply life.

If we are lucky, our friends who fit these second four categories share their good fortune!  I have a good farmer friend who shared his abundance of garden produce with me last summer.  I found myself passing it forward by delivering it to a senior citizen center in a town where there isn’t a grocery store.  I have another friend who is considerably wealthy.  She gives plenty of her money away to take care of family and friends.  My daddy always said that “charity is silent” meaning the gifts we give should be given anonymously.  She is that way.  People who are constantly praised, need to share that praise with the folks who helped them along their life’s journey. 

This 6th chapter of Luke is filled with instruction on leading a Christian life.  “Love your enemies.”  “Don’t be judgmental.”  One of the scriptures reminds me so much of my husband, Joe.  “Lend and don’t expect repayment.”   Joe used to say that he never made a loan of money to an employee, especially never to student workers!  He would give them the money they needed and tell them not to worry about it!  His philosophy was based on the experience that you never get that money back anyway … but just as much upon the fact that the borrower doesn’t need to be burdened with the need to repay!

Jesus had chosen all twelve of his disciples in this chapter.  He makes a statement about students not being above the teacher, but once they have learned the lesson, they are equal to the teacher.  He is instructing his disciples to get out on their own and teach the lessons they have learned.

My take-away from this chapter is so simple.  If we all followed the instructions of the Beatitudes, the world would be a better place.  I want to always surround myself with friends and family who live their lives that way, but I never want to miss the opportunity to reach out to folks who don’t live that way.  People can change.  They don’t always, but they can.

I continue to grieve for a lost husband, and that is a burden that after eight years, I deal with daily.   At the same time, I do my best to be positive and share happiness with others.  I am super glued to a grand daughter ... and I seize the opportunity to work with groups of senior citizens (am I one of those people now?) and spread a little goodness in their midst. 

Let’s Cook – And Share It!


This time of year, people share food gifts.  We should really do that all year long, but it is more common during Christmastime!  I’m not sharing a recipe with you, but instead, encouraging you to search my blog for “cookies”.  You’ll find a few recipes that you might want to try!  Spread some kindness by sharing a cookie try with friends and family!








February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's