Tarragon Chicken in Browned Butter



I will be the first to admit that cooking for just one person isn't nearly as much fun as cooking for a family or a small crowd! But, I love food and I love to cook ... so I've slowly managed to learn how to prepare 
really good food ... for just one person! My husband always loved preparing what he called "one potters" and some of my best meals for one are done in one pot ... even the vegetables and wilted salads!


This recipe is pretty simple. Dredge a couple pieces of chicken in egg wash and seasoned flour. Melt a couple pats of butter and about a Tablespoon of oil in a heavy deep skillet. Brown the chicken, turning to brown all sides. Add a potato cut in chunks and your favorite vegetables.  Cover the pot and put it in the oven at 350 degrees. In about 15 minutes, I turn the chunks of potatoes and the chicken.



I sprinkle plenty of fresh tarragon all over the chicken and the vegetables. I usually add softer vegetables at this point ... like the chunks of yellow bell pepper shown in this picture ... because it takes less time for those to cook.  Put the lid back on and continue roasting for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is fall off the bone tender!  When I remove the pot from the oven, I add a big handful of fresh spinach to the top of the ingredients and put the lid back on the pot. Let this sit for a couple minutes to wilt the spinach. I add a little bit of salt and freshly ground pepper to everything and drizzle balsamic glaze over the spinach.

To me, this is comfort food that is easy to prepare because the oven does most of the work. I often add frozen pearl onions to this dish. Sometimes I throw in frozen peas ... and when I'm not in the mood for potatoes, I add Brussels sprouts at the very beginning! 


These beautiful bright colors are enough to make you forget that you are eating alone! A one potter for one ... 

I'll be sharing this post with some of the parties listed in my sidebar. Make sure you stick around and look at some of my other posts, before you move on to party!

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's