Love Ground Pork




II almost always have a pound of ground pork in the freezer to use in mixing meatloaf or meatballs.  I use one part pork to two parts beef.  However, I love pork burgers and when ground pork is $2 a pound and ground beef is almost $4 a pound, I never hesitate to buy pork.  That was the comparison this week at my supermarket ... pork was $1.99 pound and the same fat content beef was $3.69. Easy decision for me.

There are lots of things I love about ground pork in addition to the lower cost.  Pork really is the "other white meat" in that the fat content is considerably less than it was years ago.  Ground pork takes on the flavors that you mix with it, so it is easy to create the cuisine you prefer.   I love pork meatballs with an Asian flare ... with the Mexican flavors of chili and tomato ... or with the Italian flavors of fresh herbs, garlic and pine nuts.

So, today ... take a look at my pork burger sliders.  How simple is this.  A little salt and pepper and a dash of liquid smoke and you can bake or pan fry a burger that would only be better if it came off the BBQ grill!  (It is entirely too cold today to light the grill!)   Add some homemade bread and butter pickles ... and I'm a happy grandma.

My meatball recipe is too simple!  To every pound of ground pork, add 2 Tablespoons of any combined flavorings you want, an egg and a cup of soft bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.  Bake them at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.

This recipe will make between 18 and 24 appetizer size meatballs ... depending upon the size you make.   I've flavored mine with minced ginger, minced garlic and sweet chili paste and honey ... combined to make 2 Tablespoons.

By the way ... I've never met an appetizer meatball that didn't belong on the dinner plate!  Kids usually prefer that size, so serve them for dinner alongside rice or pasta.

Any packaged sauce would be great on these meatballs.  Consider using a bottled Teriyaki sauce, spaghetti sauce or a sauce made from combining bottled BBQ sauce with orange marmalade or grape jelly.

Make these your way ... the way your family will enjoy them most.  You cannot mess them up!

I'm going to share this post with Simple Saturday   Make sure you click through to see some other frugal things to do!

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's