German Creamy Brussels Sprout Soup

I enjoy a bowl of soup on a cool weekend, but it has taken me ten years to get to the point of making small batches for my empty nest.  I’ve converted this recipe over the years and have simplified it so it is easily cooked and easily cut in half, so I don’t have leftovers for a week.  Speaking of leftovers, though, you can make this soup using leftover vegetables prepared for another meal.  Just reduce the cooking time by an hour.  You can also use chicken or vegetable broth instead of beef broth.



I first had this soup in a German restaurant in Chicago.  I studied the ingredients and came home and made it.  I don’t know how “German” it really is, but I enjoy calling it that.  It is delicious served with warm rye bread, but this time I just made a box of cheddar biscuits to have with it.

 

Creamy German Brussels Sprout Soup

2 cups brussels sprouts halved
2 cups cubed potatoes
2 cups carrots, sliced or cubed
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp marjoram
4 cups beef stock
2 cups half and half
Salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg
½ cup chopped fresh parsley

This crock pot soup is so easy.  Add the vegetables, beef stock, onion power and marjoram to the crock pot.  Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.  Add the half and half and cook another hour.  Add the salt and pepper to taste, and finish with a pinch of ground nutmeg.  Stir in the fresh parsley.

If the soup isn’t thick enough, add mashed potato flakes  by the spoonful until it reaches the thickness you desire.




 

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's