Tartan Day 2018


I enjoy celebrating Tartan Day each year.  My daddy's people came from Scotland and Ireland, but the most colorful stories are about the ones that came from Scotland! Douglass and Lindsay are the names we celebrate.


Tartan Day is all about the family tree, to me. This year, I incorporated a family tree into the tablescape!  My blue plaid is similar to the Douglass tartan and the red plates are similar to the Lindsay tartan!  Close enough to make me happy, but for my daughter's wedding several years ago, we ordered the real Douglass tartan ribbon to use in the floral decor!


Take a look at the elements of the table decor!  See the tree?  I love my "Family is Everything" banner. A little burlap overlay and the puddled plaid ... brings it all together.


The place mats are perfect for this theme ... also burlap.  When the Scots  celebrate, they call all the clans to attend the "Gathering"!  Their gathering is all about food, family and culture.  Their  culture and the meaning of their clan crests focuses on bravery and strength.


The clear plates at the bottom of my place setting are a basket weave pattern that resembles plaid.


No Tartan Day would be complete without a few sips of Scotch Whisky! Cutty Sark is a favorite at our house and we have a couple mixed cocktails that look extra elegant in those old crystal stemmed glasses!


I prepared a true Scottish recipe ... Fish in an oatmeal flour breading and pan fried. The flavor is amazing and nutty. You can see how the oatmeal caramelizes a little and soaks into the fish, which is first soaked in mustard and cream.


I'll be sharing this post with a couple blog parties that are listed in my sidebar!  Have fun clicking through.








February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's