Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

X is for Xylograph!

X is for Xylograph – an artistic print made from an engraving on wood. Many of us learned how to do this in high school art class and we printed pictures that were simplistic. I remember that we weren’t actually using wood … soap I think … and I carved a very folksy looking flower. One of my friends managed to carve an eye and another friend carved the outline of a cat.  The carving is dipped into paint or ink, then stamped on canvas or paper. 


Those were easy to do, but can you imagine carving this into wood? I’ve know some incredible artists who did great carvings, but nothing this detailed.



Then others were printed and colored or painted … like this one.

These prints are both from the 19th century and were found in the online museum of the Habsburgs, the ruling dynasty of Austria. Visit english.habsburger.net to learn more about them. To read even more interesting things, like the fact that the House of Habsburg married into so many other royal families in Europe that they eventually ruled over a broad region … and they split the family between the Austrian Habsburgs and the Spanish Habsburgs. The Spanish side of the House liked itself so much that it eventually eliminated its bloodline through inbreeding! Check outhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburgs  for the whole story!


I'm linking with Alphabet Thursday, so make sure you go visit Jenny to see all the other posts!  Happy Alphabet Thursday!

13 comments:

  1. Now this is a web site to pie for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's really amazing! The second one looks like a painting. I'm thinking of using soap to make some stamps for my art journaling... not sure what else to use. No wood! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely remarkable! Thanks for a great "X" post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that just reminded me when I was in school and the teacher would go to the work room to run off copies of our worksheet and she would come back and we would all get high on the smell of our papers!! hahahaha they would smell so good and be warm. Now what was that machine called? asomethingOgragh

    I loved carving those in art class from a wooden tile!! I still have one or two some where. I bet they are at my moms house... No mine were nothing like those!! More like swirls ans triangles or big faces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing carving ... just amazing ... art is just a beautiful thing ... especially when it's used to preserve history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing detail, it's impossible to bleive they are carved in wood. Beautiful works of art

    ReplyDelete
  7. What patience! The details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unbelieveable talent! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know what a xylograph was but you sure picked a doozy :) very nice and hats off to the hapsburgs . I'm sure they are nice folks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I think the only thing we ever carved in school was a potato to use as a stamp. And mine wasn't too impressive.

    It's hard to believe something like this was made by hand.

    This was absolutely an x-cellent link to Alphabe-Thursday.

    I enjoyed my visit here.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive