Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Brunch on the 4th of July!

Here are a few pictures of my recent brunch ... on July 4th!   I've included one of the recipes, just in case you don't have a really good French toast casserole recipe!  This one is so, so good!

 I love these napkin rings ... they look like big spiral fireworks and work well on a July 4th tablescape!  Blue Willow china, red Cambridge flatware  and Depression Glass Cape Cod stemmed cocktail glasses for the melon balls ... made a cute setting.

In my circle of friends, hostess gifts of baskets of garden produce are very popular!  I've posted the French Toast Casserole at the bottom ... scroll down! 


Miss Phoebe had a little trouble staying awake after eating a big brunch!  She loves sausage and I put it in the egg bake, so we had to kind of pick it out for her ... so she knew she had enough!



French Toast Casserole

Mix 12 eggs and 2 cups of half and half together.  Blend in a teaspoon of almond extract, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/2 cup of honey.  Tear a big loaf of French bread into big chunks and place them in a prepared 13x9 inch casserole dish.  Pour the milk/eggs over the bread.  At this point, you can cover and refrigerate this overnight ... but making it a couple hours ahead works just as well.  When ready to bake this, cut an 8-ounce block of cream cheese and a half stick of butter into chunks and tuck them into the casserole.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Uncover the casserole and drop teaspoons of your favorite jelly or jam into the casserole.  Bake for another 30 minutes until the top browns.  Serve it warm.  You can serve warm syrup with it ... but it never really needs it!

I'm linking with Tablescape Thursday and Let's Do Brunch so make sure you click through to visit all the other posts!  As always, special thanks to our hostesses.


7 comments:

  1. I am a huge french toast fan so this is waiting for me to make it. I think, I could eat this and grilled cheese, daily, alternating.

    Thanks for sharing this with us at Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this would be a great thing to make for lots of company.. thanks so much for sharing. Love your table.. It looks so very inviting and welcoming. Many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely blog....and everything is superb..excellent tablescape....please do visit mine at www.cherishingspaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, the celebration looks great. I am saving that casserole recipe. It looks and sounds awesome. Hop over if you get a chance to see what we were doing on the 4th. The name of the post is "Firecracker 100"
    See you soon, Ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My children just love french toast..anytime:)
    The celebration looks great! Thanks so much for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm drooling over the blue strawberry vase/container you have on the table. INSPIRATION for me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious. I've made French toast casserole before but using a different recipe - this one sounds amazing with the cream cheese. Thank you for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive