Phoebe is a Star!


Phoebe started third grade at a new school. She is now in private school and is doing very well. She is bringing home A+ papers. I decided it was time to celebrate, so I whipped up a prime rib Sunday dinner!

Of course, I had to decorate a little, so added this banner to the dining room mantel.

In keeping with the star theme, I pulled the July 4th dinnerware back out! The dinnerware is Gibson and the table cloth is this year's stock from Kohl's.




The red chargers are surrounded with stars and I originally purchased them to use under clear plates. These flag dinner plates are extra large, so in order to see the stars on the charger, I placed the plates off center.

Phoebe had a few more stars at her place setting!






Back to the mantel before we move to the food! For 30 years, this has been a place to decorate with theme after theme! I offered to take the banner down so Phoebe could take it home, but she said she wanted it to stay right where it is! The mantel in the dining room is a very special place!


I placed a small Eastern Star planter on the mantel ... only because it is a star!

I picked this little pottery planter up at an antique store and don't know how old it is or much else about it.

I'm guessing they were popular gift items in the 1950s to 1960s.





In an attempt to merge two color themes, I placed a big star in the patriotic centerpiece!  Take a look at this centerpiece, though! This is actually a chicken feeder!  I just stuffed the tin feeder with oasis and stuck geraniums in it ... and normally I put a flameless candle in the jar.




Our menu was simple. I made prime rib and a couple salads ... the upper left is a Greek inspired salad with lots of mint, basil and oregano ... mac and cheese for Phoebe (who didn't eat any) and smashed potatoes topped with bacon and cheddar cheese. I had purple and pink potatoes from my CSA! Phoebe helped finish the jus for the prime rib by whisking the ingredients together in the roasting pan ... and she helped me finish this delicious butterfinger pie!



Phoebe helped crush the candy bars for the top ... using our antique meat mallet. She spread the whipped topping over the pie and 'dumped' the crushed candy on top!

Butter Finger Pie

12 mini Butter Finger candy bars
16 ounces Whipped Topping, thawed and divided 12 ounces for filling and 4 ounces for topping
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 small box instant vanilla pudding

Crush 8 of the candy bars and blend all the ingredients together reserving about 4 ounces of the topping for the top of the pie.  Pour into a graham cracker pie crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Top with reserved whipped topping and crush the other 4 candy bars to sprinkle on top.

It is best to refrigerate this pie overnight.  The candy bars turn to little pockets of syrup ... and that is really good.  You can make it with any kind of candy bar!


I'll be sharing this post with a few of the parties listed on my sidebar. Click through to visit some of the other posts!  Thanks for stopping by!


February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's