Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

B is for Bee and That's Me!

My mother named me Deborah after the Biblical character who was a judge and strong warrior.  The family never called me Deborah, though ... always Debbie ... or a variety of nicknames.  The name Deborah means 'bee' in Hebrew.


Deborah had her own palm tree!  She sat under the tree  and listened to the issues brought to her by her people and judged a fair outcome.  She and her general, Barak, lead the defeat of the Canaanite armies, who had oppressed the Israelites for twenty years.  She is a heroine.



Napoleon used a bee as an important symbol in his armory.  It is considered a symbol of immortality and resurrection and was chosen  to link the new French dynasty to the very origins of France. Golden bees were discovered in 1653 in Tournai in the tomb of Childeric I, founder in 457 of the Merovingian.  Bees are considered the oldest emblem of the sovereigns of France.


Bees symbolize diligence.  Who could argue with that?  They represent the organized hierarchy of living.  Bees and bee hives are often used in architecture, most notably in Mormon temples.  If you want to read more about that, visit The Trumpet Stone



At our house, bees are all about having fun and if you watch my future posts, you'll see pictures from an upcoming "Bee Tea" that I'm having for Miss Phoebe.  We'll set our party on the front porch, but we're waiting for dry skies!  We've been experiencing rain, thunder storms and tornadoes for a few weeks, now.  Can't wait for sunny skies!

I'm participating in Alphabet Thursday so make sure you click through to visit all the other posts! 
B is for Bee ... and for Blogging!  Don't we love having all this fun? 
Thanks, Jenny for hosting our Alphabet parties!

10 comments:

  1. I know the story of Deborah. She was a wise and Godly leader; a heroine indeed. However, I had no idea that the name means bee in Hebrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah was really a busy bee, wasn't she???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved learning more about Deborah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning new things from your post today, and enjoy it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah, this was fascinating. I never realized that's why there are so many "beehive" related publications and shops here in Arizona. That was a surprise to me.

    Thanks for teaching us some interesting facts this week.

    I always enjoy seeing what you have to share.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am waiting for some clear weather...

    My sister's name is Deborah, I'll have to send her this link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your informative Bee post! We're waiting for some nice weather in the Northwest, too...
    Enjoy your Bee Tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting post. I wish you could send that rain to us. We need it bad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Hebrew name is Tzipporah, which means bird. Between our names, we can talk about the birds and the bees! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat post! I didn't know this of deborah or debbie or bees...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive