A Week of No Fuss Meals

Bad weather and lots of work to do in my home office ... kept me from spending much time cooking this week. Thought you might like a couple quick food ideas!

When I was a child, my mother would cook ham and beans once a week. Sometimes with a ham bone ... other times with smoked ham hocks. I hate beans. Well, almost. I loved good baked beans and I love lima beans!  But, that is it. While watching the snow come down, I simmered a crock pot of baby limas and a link of smoked sausage. I threw in a little Cajun spice mix. That is pretty easy! Corn bread was not a favorite of mine, either ... as a kid. Mama would make me eat it, but she would slather it with butter and drizzle syrup over it. It was more like dessert. I still eat it that way and taught my daughter to eat it that way!


Yes, those are my toes ... and scrapbooking paper scraps on the floor!

My other easy food fixes this week included orange shrimp. I just stir fry a few vegetables ... snow peas, cauliflower, green peppers, red peppers and green onion. Just before the veges reach the tender crisp stage, I throw in a few peeled and deveined shrimp. It just takes another couple minutes to get them done. The sauce is a combination of three things ... orange marmalade, soy sauce and bbq sauce.  I use equal parts of the marmalade and bbq sauce, then ad a few splashes of the soy sauce.  Served over rice ... this is a great meal.


I cook for just one person most of the time and I'm never excited to have left-overs! My homemade pizza makes dinner and a couple lunches, but it is so good that I don't mind. It too, is very easy.  When I buy a pound of Italian sausage, I brown the whole pound, then divide it into thirds ... freezing the other two portions. I was using my last portion of frozen sausage for this pizza. I always keep those packets of pizza crust mix on hand ... and I buy the cheapest brand! They are all the same! I also buy bottled pizza sauce ... not spaghetti sauce ... but pizza sauce. So ... the crust, half the jar of sauce ... cooked sausage ... thinly sliced mushrooms and green peppers and about 6 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese ...... and there you have it.  Easy and very good. The cost of that pizza is about $4.00!

Then ... one evening I really wasn't hungry, so I had my weekly egg for dinner! An egg fried over easy served on a piece of buttered toast ... served with three tiny dill pickles! Yep, dill pickles ... and most of my family eats katsup on their fried eggs, too!  Strange, aren't we?  The dill pickles with fried eggs has a history though. When I was a teenager, the guy that taught me how to drive a car with a manual transmission ... invited me to breakfast each morning before we set out for the driving lesson. His wife was a great cook and she ate pickles with eggs! As soon as I tried it, I was in love with the flavor combination. (My brothers wouldn't teach me how to drive a "stick" ... so one of their friends was up for the challenge!)  My daddy didn't think I would ever need to know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission ... but guess what? I've always driven one ... from my MG convertible I had in the 1970s to the little red pickup truck I have today!

I might share this post with a couple parties listed below. Hope you'll click through to see the other posts.








February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's