Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 11th

I just posted this the other day, but given the importance of this day, I thought it appropriate to post it with Sunday Favorites and Seasonal Sundays.  This certainly is an important day.


Original Post:


I have spent a lifetime planning ways to share history and culture with people in ways that are easy to comprehend and understand ... from children to elderly adults.   We raised our daughter ... and now want to influence our grand daughter's interests ... by teaching those lessons around the dinner table ... often times in association with the theme or the menu of the meal.   What does all that mean?   Well, how do you teach the lesson of 9/11 in a way that little children might understand, without frightening them?


Did you know that September 11, 2001 was not the first time America was invaded on September 11th?  You might want to read my cooking column from today's Southern Illinoisan Newspaper to find the answer to that question.  Go to Made at Home to read more and find some great recipes.


I'll give you a hint ... the Battle of Brandywine fought during the American Revolution ... and this table is a celebration of the freedoms we need to be remembering on 9/11 as we teach the lessons of that tragedy ... and commemorate the loss we experienced that day.  It's a tablescape ... it's a special menu you'll find in the link above ... and it is a teaching opportunity that you might want to ponder.


This tablescape begins with replica Betsy Ross flags ... so use this as a time to talk about Betsy ... you'll find lots of information on this Betsy Ross site.



The china I've used is Noritake and the pattern is called Pioneer Bay ... and I can't think of anything better to use when celebrating the freedoms that our pioneer colonists fought for.



I love the rustic look of the placemat/chargers ... and the stars bandannas make perfect napkins.



The placemats came from Pier1, the red leaf dish is Depression Glass, the blue goblet is Indiana Glass and the red wine glass is Viking in the Georgian pattern.


Look more closely at the pattern on the china.  The primitive buildings are so neat!  I use this china often ... for any table that needs to be patriotic!  The color palette for accessorizing it goes from patriotic blue to ambers and browns.


Here's the centerpiece ... pretty simple, just a jar filled with grapevine balls and battery operated lights.   Check QVC, if you like the lights ... they are on a timer, so once you tuck them down inside something, you don't have to worry about digging them back out!



I'm participating in Tablescape Thursday so make sure you click through to visit the other posts!   Be sure to visit the link at the top of this post to see my column about September 11th ... and visit my home page if you haven't visited my site lately.  I have some neat posts!   Celebrate Freedom!

13 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing. Children are so vulnerble and thid 9/11 is frightening. Love the fact of teaching them a little history of their country and makeing them proud to be an American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to sit at a table with the younger folks.. so much they can learn! Great table. love the dishes and the flag as part of the table.. Love love the centerpiece too.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "vintage" Patriotic theme! I also did a Patriotic table this week. Love, ~Nana~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet blessings to you.
    The theme and your table are wonderful for this time of year.
    God bless America,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, you really rocked this table!!! The plates are incredible! I love it that you take the time to educate your granddaughter around the dinner table. That's the way we "used to do it", and it makes perfect sense. All of the elements you used to create this tablescape are great learning tools. The Betsy Ross flag is just TOO fabulous! Your dishes are great....you made a really terrific choice when you bought those! It is sad that war is such a savage and permanent part of our nation's history. I hope that the tragedy of war - 9/11 or otherwise - is eventually obliterated in our world. God Bless America, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your theme! It is so important that we teach our children! Many parents are not! Your dishes are truly beautiful and I would use them everyday.I love all your elements together, a wonderful tribute to America.
    Blessing My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously love this and all of the interwoven history. Come see the history of Winnie the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, this is one of my favorites of all the tables you have done. I recognize the Colony Park Lane stemware, very pretty blue. I love the plates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What blessed children that you would find such a special way to teach them the cost of freedom. The tablescape is lovely, and your plates are incredibly special. Glad to know about the twinkle lights. I'll figure out how to find QVC and check them out. I need several sets. Thank you for sharing your marvelous design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Debbie. This is such a touching tribute...what a beautiful way to observe that sad day in our country's history. I'm wondering why it hasn't been made a national day of observance. I imagine QVC is going to see quite a run on those lights now LOL. I love your dishes--I hadn't seen them before. Thank you for visiting my first post and for commenting. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your post, especially the photography and your collage-making! I'm learning Photoshop right now and know how much time those took.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely way to share history! The Noritake china pattern is great and you have certainly accented the patriotic flare of this pattern. I really like everything about this table, from the rustic chargers to the red and blue glassware. Thanks so much for the tip about the lights in your fabulous centerpiece; I'm heading to QVC right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbie...

    What a beautiful way to remember and pay tribute to our great country and the freedom that we hold so dear! Very befitting for 911...my thoughts and prayers go out to all of those who have suffered loss because of this horrible tragedy!

    Well dear lady, your patriotic table just blows me away...I love it!!! I think your Betsy Ross flag makes a GRAND statement...love that! Ohhh...and your colonial china...simply gorgeous! This is the first time that I have seen this beautiful pattern! I would love to have a set! The colonial scenes are so beautiful and regal in their own right!!! Love how you paired them with the rustic wicker charger...perfect! You know, I didn't know that you could get Depression Glass in red. The red leaf dishes are just beautiful! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for this red glass...would be pretty in my red dining room!

    Well dear friend, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful patriotic tablescape with us! I just adore it! I have to say...I am a history buff as well. I would have loved to teach history! I just think it's awesome that you are teaching your grands about our GRAND past! BRAVO, my friend!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive