Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Monday, May 27, 2013

I Decided to Eat Witchy Rose!

If you missed my post about Witchy Rose, you can read it right here!  If you don't want to take the time, let me just tell you that this Queen Victoria rose blooms when she wants to ... only when she wants to.  I planted it decades ago and it grew all over the trellis, but it never bloomed ... until my Aunt Evelyn died.  It bloomed the next year and I felt like my aunt made it bloom for me!  It didn't bloom for years ... until the year my daughter got married.  That year it gave us a dozen long stemmed beautiful roses.    I cut it down to the ground and had a porch built over it ... thought I'd never see her again and she found her way through the wooden slats .. and bloomed again!   

Anyway, I think the rose is haunted ... but in a good way!

This year, I decided I would eat her when two pretty roses bloomed! 






This stuff is good!  Yes, I know that everything is good on a Ritz Cracker ... but it is seriously a treat!  I'm sharing the recipe, but you should only use rose petals that have not been sprayed or treated, so make sure you know the roses you are turning into jelly.    I'm going to post this with a few parties this week, so make sure you visit ...
.








Witchy Rose Petal Jelly

2 cups rose petals 
3 cups of water

Juice of one lemon
5 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

Wash the rose petals before using them.  Bring 3 cups of water to a hard boil.  Drop in the rose petals; turn off the burner and put a lid on your pan.  Let the petals steep for 30 minutes.   After 30 minutes, remove the lid and use a strainer spoon to scoop all the petals out of the liquid.  Use your hand and squeeze the handful of petals so all the juice comes out of them. 

The liquid will be a pale color and as soon as you add the juice of one lemon, it will return to the color of the petals you used!  Just like magic!   Add the sugar and return the liquid to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.   When the liquid reaches a boil that you cannot stir down, add the liquid pectin.  The boiling will slow down a little, but continue stirring until it reaches a rolling boil again and continue to boil it for 1 minute.   Don’t guess, time it!

Turn off the burner;  let the boiling subside and pour the jelly into sterilized canning jars.  Process them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes to make certain that the lids seal.







5 comments:

  1. It is pretty too! Just look at that delicate pink. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your site!!! Such pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to make jelly, the story of the rose enhances it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it bloomed only at certain times, lol. It's beautiful and so is the jelly! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive