Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Magnolia Table for Christmas!


I'm a Southern Girl ... Yes I am!

I love to set a Christmas Table with my old Magnola china!  Magnolia trees are prolific in Southern Illinois and I probably need to remind my readers that I live just 2.5 hours from Nashville and Memphis ... and 5.5 hours from Chicagoland!  Folks generally think "Chicago" when they hear Illinois!  We are the northern tip of the Mississippi River Delta ... and the history of our population is that folks migrated here from the Upland South.   So ... many of our foodways and other customs are southern-based!

Our annual Christmas Open House has a "Bayou" theme this year ... so my followers will eventually see a few mudbugs and at least one little alligator in my Christmas decor ... and my buffet meal will include Crawfish Pie, Jambalaya, Sweet Potato Pie and Pralines!  ... and Hurricanes and Chicory Coffee Punch! 



The pattern of this Monarch China is called "Brenda" and it is 1960s ... the stemmed glassware is a combination of a couple patterns from the 1940s ... and the silverplate is Oneida Community "Evening Star" from the 1950s.  I've amassed a collection of it over the years .. including "afternoon teaspoons" ... "grille forks and knives" ... individual butter knives ... and gumbo spoons!  Love it!

I've linked to Tablescape Thursday, so make  sure you click thru the icon on the left ... to visit all thee other posts!  Special thanks to our hostess.

Keep checking back, because I'm posting just about every day!  I'm keeping several posts up at a time and you can check the recent archive for more Christmas posts!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, Sorry if I have been MIA. I am now trying to catch up on some reading.
    Your Christmas table is lovely. As you know, I love the magnolias, being a Lady of South with a big S. I hope to hop back in for some more of your holiday fun and maybe a taste at the buffet.
    Merry Christmas, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your southern table. Magnolias are always in style regardless of season. Your crystal is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, beautiful place setting...the magnolia pattern is so pretty. Your menu sounds wonderful, where is my invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is going to be one whale of a Christmas Open House with all that great food!!! Sounds like I need to hop a plane! :-) I didn't know that Chicago had so many magnolia trees. I didn't think they could thrive there. I have friends with magnolia trees in their yards, but you don't see a lot of them here in the Kansas City, MO area. We have a magnolia, but it's not the one that produces the wonderful shiny-on-one-side-and-matte-on-the-other leaves or saucer sized blooms. I feel like we got gypped! I can see where your magnolia plates totally fit in for Christmas as so many (Southerners in particular where the trees are so prolific) use the leaves for holiday decorating. Wonderful!!! Have a fantastic weekend, and be sure to let us know how the Open House goes! Send leftovers to me at.......! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your magnolia china. I have my grandmother's Occupied Japan, Yamaka "Magnolia" china service, and the always remind me of the South, too. Your tablescape is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely magnolia china, I would adore a tree but not here in PA. Tomorrow they want a high of 36*. Soon as the holidays are over I'm rooting for SPRING!!
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive