Abayomi Dolls!


I learned about these  cute dolls from an Activity Director at one of the skilled nursing facilities that I work with.  When I saw the dolls that she made with the residents, I knew I had to teach Phoebe how to make them!  I had been planning a special supper themed around African foods, so these dolls just fit right in with the theme.

"Abayomi" is the name of a traditional African rag doll made from scrap material ... knots tied on rags.  The dolls have been around for over three-hundred years in certain parts of Africa and are known to bring happiness and kindness.  No stitches or glue are used to make these dolls!

To see a video about making these sweet dolls, you can visit


I love the way the expressionless faces look.  I created hair on a couple of our dolls and tied different styles of scarves.  Individuality is what makes them so neat!

I'm sharing the above picture so you can see that it is simply a matter of making a few knots and ties to create something special.

If you'd like to see the "Safari Supper" blog post that goes along with our dolls, go to
Great Family Dinner!!



February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's