GETTING READY FOR MEMORIAL DAY!


Memorial Day in my town has special meaning.  Historical account reflect that the first ever Memorial Day ceremony was held here, in a small church cemetery ... then a couple weeks later in our Woodlawn Cemetery in Carbondale, Illinois. Civil War General John A. Logan (who was later a candidate for Vice President) is the creator of Memorial Day in the U.S. and he is from my hometown, Murphysboro, Illinois.

Anyway, we have always believed that Memorial Day is the beginning of summer and that it is a very important time for us to decorate graves of our loved ones and especially of veterans.  I'll post about my Civil War Veteran, later.

Right now, I'm just throwing together some cute patriotic vignettes in my house. Here is the first and you might get to see more ... just depends on how much time I hve in the next couple of weeks!  The good news about patriotic themes is that they really last all summer!


Bunnies are always a part of my junk decor and half of what you see here from our junk shopping!  When you've been doing this ... and tablescaping ... as long as I have, you can always find what you need in some corner of the house or in a box stored away someplace. However, the star boxes and the sewing machine drawers are recent acquisitions.


This watercolor of Woodlawn Cemetery features the gates of what was originally the Carbondale College in the mid 1800s.  The cemetery is not totally fenced in because we want people to feel comfortable visiting this historic place.





Hope this post finds you already planning lots of summer adventures ... picnics and backyard barbecues!  Memorial Day will launch that season for me!

I'll be sharing this post with a few of the parties in my sidebar.  Make sure you check out all the other posts!


February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's