A Giant Sweet Potato!



Yesterday was the first day of our outdoor farmers' market in my little town!  It is just a couple blocks from my house, and it was delightful to see all the sidewalk traffic headed that direction on a chilly but sunny Saturday morning.  

After shopping, my daughter brought me a giant sweet potato and a bunch of crisp green onions.  I couldn't wait to use them.

I'll tell you about my bacon, onion chicken recipe, then I'll tell you what I did with the potato that would easily have fed four people.



Creamy Bacon and Onion Chicken


While this recipe might look or sound a little elegant, it is so easy.  You can use any kind of chicken.  Skinless boneless breasts would be great, but this time I used chicken pieces.  I had a  bag of thighs and legs, so that's what I used.  Frugal!

I cook for one and I don't want too many left overs, so I used four pieces of meat.  Rinse it, but make sure you dry it too.  Paper towels work well for that.

I seasoned the chicken with a dried mushroom blend and with two blends from Pampered Chef - Triple Onion and Dijon Mustard.  Don't hesitate to be liberal in using the seasoning.  You want that flavor.

I chopped 4 strips of bacon and gently browned it in a heavy skillet.  Remove the bacon and set it aside.  In the remaining bacon grease brown the chicken pieces on all sides.  Add a few tops from green onions.  When the chicken is browned, add 2 cups of chicken broth.  Put a lid on the skillet and let the chicken simmer until it is done.  Remove the lid and let the broth reduce a little.  Add 1 1/2 cups of cream or half and half.  Stir the sauce to blend it and when it is thick enough, you are done!  I love green onions, so I added 4 in the last couple minutes of cooking.  That softened the onions, but they still had a nice crisp bite to them.  Sprinkle the bacon crumbles over the finished dish.

I served part of the sweet potato with this delicious dinner.  I baked the potato in the microwave.  It was so big, it took ten minutes.  I simply added salt and pepper and butter to the portion I used for dinner.   Yes, I have plenty to serve with the left over chicken!

What did I do with the rest of that sweet potato?


Sweet Potato Swiss Fritatta  


This recipe makes two small sized fritattas.  These dishes are Pioneer Woman 5.5 inch pie plates.  If you want to use muffin pans for these, you'd probably get three fritattas.  If you want to make lots of these, all you need to do is multiply the recipe.

Ingredients 

1 1/2 to 2 cups of  slightly mashed baked sweet potato
2 teaspoons of Pampered Chef Three Onion seasoning
2 teaspoons of Pampered Chef Bell Pepper & Herb seasoning

Gently mix these ingredients.  You don't want pureed sweet potato.  You want chunky bites!  Place equal portions in the baking dishes.

2 whole eggs
1/2 cup of half and half
1/2 cup of shredded swiss cheese

Whisk these ingredients together and pour equal portions over the potato mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.  Mine went in the air fryer oven, so they just took 10 minutes.  Serve them with additional cheese sprinkled on top.  Add chopped chives or green onions.

I froze my second fritatta in foil.  The best way to reheat it is in the air fryer.  Just open the top of the foil and bake it for a few minutes.  Even starting in the frozen state, it won't take long.  You can also reheat it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.




 

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's