Braunschweiger Spread


I grew up eating Braunschweiger sandwiches on white bread smothered with mayonnaise.
  My mother and I were the only ones I remember eating it, but even as a kid, I loved it.  I married a man who loved it and we raised a daughter who loves it. I was recently delighted to learn that my 13-year old grand daughter loves it.   Wow!

When you eat in a German restaurant, you’ll probably find a Braunschweiger spread on the menu.  They might call it ‘mousse’ or ‘pate’, but it is probably exactly what I’m going to tell you how to make today!

Braunschweiger is a pork liver sausage that is smoked.  It comes from the city of Braunschweig, also known as Brunswick.  Today, this city is a cultural center filled with medieval buildings, museums, cathedrals … and modern buildings created for scientific research and development.

From 1269 through 1814, the Duchy of Brunswick was part of a trade route frequented by many travelers.  Their sausages were very popular, and among them was that liver sausage that carries the name of the city.

When you ask people how they eat their Braunschweiger sandwiches … if they eat them at all … you’ll get lots of replies!  Some love it spread on rye bread and covered with mustard and onions.  Others pile on onions but drizzle on catsup!  Others add lots of dill pickle.   White bread, whole wheat bread and rye bread … all varieties work!

This appetizer spread is a big hit when I make it for parties.  There is never a morsel of it left over!  It truly is a vintage recipe made popular in the 1960s.

 


Braunschweiger Spread

12 ounces Braunschweiger
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon horseradish mustard
1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
A dash of Worcestershire Sauce


In the old days, I used an electric mixer to combine all these ingredients.  Today, I put it in a food processor, and it is finished in a minute!  Maybe 3 minutes!

I’ve served this many different ways.  I usually just put it in a crock and surround it with crackers and dill pickles.  You can form it into a log or a ball and roll it in salted nuts like chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds or hazelnuts.  You can also smear the very top with a little mayonnaise and sprinkle on chopped olives, red onions or pimento.  Just enjoy it!

 


This column is part of my 2020 Vintage Vegetable project.  I’ll be sharing it with a couple blog parties, so click through the list on my sidebar. 

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's