Support Each Other




Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  Philippians 4:11-13 



I like to sing. I hum. I love music. On a rainy day in April 2014, I heard myself humming and I was startled. Why? Because I hadn’t hummed or sang a note … or listened to music … since my husband had died in May three years earlier. I knew I had reached a marker in the grieving process. At that point in time, my emotional health started to improve. Life with a broken heart was getting better.

I found myself singing yesterday and it reminded me of this 2014 moment. With all the issues that are swirling around me right now, I have a good life. I am fortunate that I could retire as ronatimes began, so income has not been an issue for me. My family has not experienced any illness during these times. I had to put down my good dog and I miss him terribly, but I have two little kittens coming soon, and I’m excited at the notion of becoming a crazy cat lady again! I haven’t had a cat for twenty years. I haven’t had toilet tissue for five weeks, but there are alternative products that I do have! My freezer and my cupboard are overflowing. I cook, so I eat!

Last night I was on a group text with my daughter and one of her best friends … who is like a second daughter for me! We had some serious conversation about health, agriculture issues and food shortages … and how people are acting right now … in general. All three of us had a soapbox and we ranted a bit, but in the end, we decided that our lives are good.

What strong women we are. Two different generations, but equally strong. Pondering this today made me look for a Bible verse that encouraged us to be content, even in times of trouble. In his letter to Philippi, Paul said that we shouldn’t just feel concerned about other people when they are in the midst of problems, but we should help them. Paul had learned to be content, himself, no matter what kind of troubles he was experiencing, and he certainly knew trouble. He also knew that new Christians were battling issues, but that they could find contentment and share it. They could hold each other up and strengthen each other's spirits.

That is what we three women had done. We vented, shared and strengthened each other with a series of written words. Our lives are far from perfection! These COVID-19 times are difficult. Add all the other perils of life to the batch of troubles, and we find ourselves in one nasty storm.

But we agreed that our lives are good and we know that spreading kindness just makes our lives even better.

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's