Don't be Afraid




2 Timothy 1:7   (KJV)
For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of sound mind

2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.


This scripture popped up in my daily Bible Study app.  It seems so appropriate for these COVID19 times, but it made me think much more deeply than that.  I have always had a ‘mouth’ on me.  Sometimes to my own demise, I have said things that I should not have said.  As this scripture says, God didn’t make me timid.  That kind of assertiveness doesn’t give us power, though.  That is, unless we learn how to say those things with love and unless we learn to discipline our outbursts.  I would like to think I have learned those things, but I honestly admit that times come when I spew things that don’t need to be said or certainly need to have been said in a more loving way.

Right now, for example, I want to scream at people that are not following the stay at home rules.  I want to scream at the members of the media who are not substantiating the news they are creating.  At the same time, I want to shout out praise to all the essential workers who continue to go to work, hoping they don’t infect their families when they return home.  I want to shout out praise to the political leaders who have done their best to get ahead of this virus, protecting the American people.

This scripture comes from the writings of Paul to his friend Timothy who is trying to lead a church in Ephesus.  He is telling Timothy, who history tells us was a little bit sickly and timid, to be strong and powerful but loving and kind.  He is encouraging him to use self-control in his actions. Paul says these things many times throughout his writings. Those instructions are intended for us.

My new retirement is settling well with me.  I am no longer in control of anything other than my household, which is made of of me and my dog!  I am, however, in charge of the way I behave, and the eyes of a 13-year-old granddaughter are always on me!  To that end, I will do my best to follow this scripture! 

These are times when words and deeds really do matter.  We need to express support and kindness in every way possible.  I'm enjoying reading posts about people in self-isolation who are still reaching out to neighbors by sitting on their porches and singing together.  My favorite story from yesterday had a picture of a man standing on one balcony, reaching up and feeding a dog who was standing on the balcony above him.  The dog's owner was in the hospital and the dog was alone.  The hearts movement has taken the world, as people are displaying handmade hearts in their windows for all their neighbors to see.    

God didn't make us to be afraid and we need to share that strength with others.

February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's