Kale Times Two!


KALE #ONE!

Stir-fried Kale with Pork


My hometown (Murphysboro, IL) has a reinvented farmers market that is going to be wonderful!  A group of very dedicated farm folks are doing a good job getting it started!

One of the vendors has fantastic kale and the sweetest red onions right now.  That made me want to share!  I've been eating kale for years ... before it was popular!  I'm a 21-year cancer survivor and my oncologist told me to eat lots of greens!  I've done that ... so much so ... the rest of the family thought I was crazy!

Today, I bought more kale, but I had a little bit left from last week ... so here is what I did.

I simply stir fried it with one of the little onions.  I let the onions start to caramelize, then removed it from the skillet.

My plan for this kale was to package it, freeze it and have it later for a quick lunch or supper.  My ingredients were simple ... kale, the onion, rice noodles and left-over roast pork.  The pork is very well seasoned with Paul Prudhomme's pork seasoning.  I didn't use any other seasoning on the kale. 



I let the greens cool, then quickly prepared a few rice noodles to add to the portions.  Chopped pork, kale/onions, and noodles went right in a FoodSaver bag.  Sealed and frozen!  I'll enjoy it later.  It is easily reheated in the microwave for a minute or so, or on the stove with a little water added.  So easy! 



KALE #TWO!

Kale Salad with Lemon Pomegranate Dressing


Fresh, sweet kale makes a really good salad.  This one holds up to refrigeration for a couple days and is actually better 'the next day'!

You can see all the ingredients, but here is what you need.

4 to 5 cups chopped kale
1 - 2 cups chopped broccoli
¼ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup of sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1 carrot shredded or chopped
½ cup chopped sweet onion
¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries

I used raisins this time and it is important to tell you that my raisins had been soaking in sherry for a couple weeks!  I found a dried up containers of raisins, so I just put them in a jar and covered them with sherry!  That makes this salad ... and everything else I use them for ... much better!



Don't the ingredients look pretty with the dressing?





The ingredients for the dressing just need to be combined by shaking them in a jar!

1/4 cup avocado oil
1/4 cup of pomegranate vinegar
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 tsp horseradish mustard
1 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp honey


Toss the salad and store it in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve!



I'll share this post with a couple blog parties, so make sure you click through to see the other posts, too!



February's Family Sunday Dinner

Christmas 2020

Mary Queen of Scots Dinner Menu Booklet

Grandma Debbie's Christmas 2018

Grandma's Blue & Green Pupkins!

Autumn at Grandma Debbie's