Welcome & Stay a Little Longer!

Welcome to Slice of Pie! I'm glad you dropped by to visit. You'll find a variety of life styling ideas on my blog ... and lots of grand daughter pictures, too! Miss Phoebe is my best helper and we do lots of special things together. Make sure you take a look down my sidebar! Under the "You're Invited" icon you'll find picture links to dinner parties I've hosted. Under the "Good Food" icon, you'll find picture links to food posts I've done. I usually post a sidebar picture link to magazine articles I've written. You'll find something you like! Hope you enjoy and stay around for awhile!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Scottish St. Patrick's Day Table!

I'm reposting a St. Pat's tablescape from a few years ago.  Enjoy!



My daddy’s birthday is March 18th. He turned 6 on the day that one of the deadliest tornados in history hit his little town of Murphysboro, Illinois (1925). His family and most of their property were safe, but his memories of the event were horrible. As a child, he drove a team and wagon around town taking his mother to house after house to tend to folks who were not as fortunate.

By the time my dad reached about 70, he was plagued with two things on his birthday. People always wanted to talk to him about the big tornado … and I always wanted to have a St. Patrick’s Day themed birthday party for him! Both were equally bad! He’d tell people that he didn’t want to talk about the tornado … and he’d tell me that he wasn't Irish … that … if he was anything other than being an American … he was Scottish! He was big on being American!

Well Daddy, I’ve got news for you! St. Patrick wasn’t Irish either … he was Scottish! … and even though you aren’t with me anymore, I’m celebrating your birthday this year … Scottish - St. Patrick’s Day style!



Ireland’s Patron Saint Patrick, was born in Scotland, near Dumbarton in (around) 385. His parents were Romans living in Britain and were in charge of the colonies. Patrick was captured by a raiding party when he was 14 and taken to Ireland as a slave. Druids and pagans inhabited and ruled Ireland at that time.

Patrick grew close to God, but remained a slave for 6 years.

After having a dream in which God told him how to escape, he went to the coast and located some sailors who took him back to Scotland where he reunited with his family. He had another dream, though … and in it, the people of Ireland begged him to come back to them. He studied for the priesthood; was ordained; was further ordained as a Bishop and returned to Ireland in 433. He made friends with the chieftons, taught the lesson of the Holy Trinity by using the shamrock clover … converted the people to Christianity … and remained in Ireland until his death 40 years later.


We are celebrating with our Scottish Tartan plaids.  The blue/beige on the upper left of this collage is pretty close to the modern Douglas Clan Tartan.  I bought several spools of Douglas tartan ribbon (from Scotland) for my daughter's wedding decor ... and since then, we've bought every ribbon, fabric, plate ... etc.  that even closely resembled the various Douglas plaids!  The salad plate is also Douglas!  I've set the table this way ... to mimic the tartans ... and the flower of Scotland, the thistle ... This thistle pattern is Stengl pottery.  the green plaid dinner plate is Royal China (c1950s) and the salad plates and mugs are Jeffrey Banks (new).  I've used salt dips with spoons, because I'm serving a cod salad that will be better with some chunky Celtic salt.  Notice the winking eye on the glasses?
My centerpiece runs the length of the table and is composed of vintage St. Pat's cards, a silk flower garland studded with a few roses ... and some glittery shamrocks!    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

22 comments:

  1. Your tablescape is so pretty Debbie...love your plaid plates :)
    I'm so sorry that you cannot be with your dad this b'day, but I bet he'd be proud you and of this tablescape that you've done in honor of him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty table! I love the use of plaid in there with the shamrocks! Eons ago the clans went back and forth between Ireland and Scotland so many times that they are all related anyway. :-)
    Happy St Patrick's day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun table Debbie! Lovin' the plaid and those green goblets are just beautiful-have fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I love the way you have incorporated tartan into your St. Patrick Day table...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your table, so many pretty things! Thanks for linking up to the Blog Crawl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty tablescape Debbie. Lots of pretty things to see. Love the plaids and the green goblets...everything is so lovely. Hope you come over, I'll be delighted. In the meantime I wish you and your a very blessed St. Patrick's Day.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. You GO, girl! What a wonderful tribute to the memory of your Dad! I know that he is proud of what you have done to honor his memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story about your dad. He was a hero of sorts. going back after being enslaved and taught christianity to the people. What a beautiful and wonderful tribute to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your wonderful plaids. This is a terrific table for a birthday and St. Patrick's day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Plaid is perfect anytime. Love all the pretty things on the table. Sláinte

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting -- I love family stories, and this one is wonderful. The history lesson was a nice review too -- I had forgotten a lot of it. Pretty table, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You definitely covered all bases and I loved it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The story about your dad is so wonderful.....and the fact that you dedicated this tablescape to him is priceless. The tartan plaids of the Douglas clan are so interesting and what tresures you have collected. Your centerpiece with the pale blues mixed with the greens and the Victorian St. Paddy's Day cards is festive and ever so pretty!! I am a lover of antique post cards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a Scot, I love your tartan tableware. Nicely put together!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty tablescape! I love all of your plaids (excuse me, tartans!) Such a fun table for St. Pat's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi lovely lady. I love your St. Patrick's Day Tablescape sweet lady. You did a Beautiful job putting it all together ~~~I hope you have a Great Day with your family ~~~
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great table and your stories of your Dad AND the info about St. Patrick are both wonderful. Love the tartan plaids too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute story of your dad! And isn't St. Patrick's story amazing? Can you imagine living his life? Wonderful table, LOVE the plaid. Thanks so much for adding this to the St. Patrick's Day party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant choice to entwine the plaids into your St. Patrick's/Birthday tablescape. I'll bet that your daddy and St. Pat are both smiling. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this!!!
    -Andrea
    http://tablescapex3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you told me to stop by, after you saw my Scottish blog. I love this idea - what a great table!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also love your Tartan Plaid and St. Pat's decorations together. Lovely colour

    ReplyDelete